Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Two inseparable gummy bears

My wife and I are like two inseparable gummy bears from the same bag of candy. 

We were both born in the same City of Boston. We also share the same birth year. If you're keeping score, we're 37 years old. And yes, we do enjoy when people say "No way, you both look twenty something." And that's why our personal story is so fascinating. Life and leadership is not always about the challenges; sometimes, it's about the encounters.

Ayana and I first encountered each other in vacation bible school at the age of five all because a friendly church deacon invited some kids out from his neighborhood. Eight years later, our families decided to leave Boston to start a new life in the suburbs. Independently, our families moved to Brockton, Massachusetts. Ayana went to North Junior High School and I attended South Junior High. All of the area junior high schools fed up to one central high school.

To our surprise we encountered each other for a second time. This time we were classmates in the same high school 30 miles south of Boston. Fast forward to our sophomore year, I moved away to Rhode Island and graduated high school while living there. For one reason or another, I compelled my family to move back to Brockton, Massachusetts as I was preparing to attend Lafayette College in Pennsylvania. 

It was not until our senior year of college that we encountered each other for a third time. We were both  home on Thanksgiving vacation shopping for ingredients at the supermarket. Little did we know, our families lived less than 30 seconds from each other on the west side of Brockton. There we stood talking as friends and exchanging our future dreams and contact information. Based on our encounter I said to myself "Aha, she will be my wife." And that's what I did. I decided to pursue her. Three years later we were married. 

Life and leadership is not always about the challenges; sometimes, it's about initiating, influencing, and recognizing meaningful encounters. If you want something badly enough go out and pursue it. Go for the encounters in life. Today, my wife and I are like two inseparable gummy bears. We enjoy inspiring the lives of others and the relationship we share. We continue to grow and learn together intertwining our lives from the same bag of candy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment