Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Maneuvering through your own personal storms

Huge thunder storms loomed ahead as my son and I were traveling from Charlotte, North Carolina on I-85 N heading to Northern, Virginia this past weekend. We were on this road trip because my younger brother was graduating from Hylton High School.

The dark black clouds that were once afar mysteriously appeared right above us. Despite all the warning signs, we found ourselves driving in the midst of a heavy rain storm. Putting my blinker on, I began to switch from the fast to slow lane as the rain over took my vision. No sooner as I attempted to switch lanes, our vehicle began to hydroplane. The slow lane was like a moving river. So I decided to switch back to the fast lane to gain better traction.

Without warning, a truck appeared in my rearview mirror. The truck driver was in a rush as he flashed his high beams and rode my bumper. I felt imprisoned by the rain above me, the river of water to the right of me, and the trucker who rode my bumper from behind. Although I was a little annoyed, my inside voice told me not to panic. "At least I could enjoy the viewpoint from my left side", I reasoned.

All of a sudden, a jeep from the opposite side of the highway skidded and crashed into the center of the highway
. The impact made the jeep's headlights "bug out" like a cartoon character that got walloped by an anvil or hammer. As a result, the jeep's bumper hurled over the median narrowly missing us. The truck driver who was riding my bumper from behind saw the fate of jeep driver who was in a rush too. Thus, the truck driver never attempted to ride my bumper again.
Maneuvering through your own personal storms is as challenging as upholding your integrity, honor, and virtue while driving with someone riding your bumper.  When your options get restricted learn to relax but hold your leadership principles firmly in place. Set the right example for all others to follow including your own children who watch from the back seat.